The City of Logan is a relatively young city and is emerging and benefiting from its proximity to Brisbane and the Gold Coast. With its population now approximately 348,000 residents, more tourism investment opportunities are being presented to the city because of its location and residential growth. Council supports strengthening our tourism sector as it makes our economy more productive, creates jobs and improves our quality of life.
Investment opportunities can be found across a number of areas with a priority on short-term accommodation, cultural, food, outdoor adventure and sporting experiences.
The City of Logan currently receives over 1.1 million visitors each year with over 47,000 international visitors (TRA March 2019).
Why Choose the City of Logan?
Logan’s competitive advantage –
- Approximately 30 minutes’ drive to both Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
- In one hours drive the regional catchment has 3.1 million residents and access to 17 million leisure visitors to Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
- Two “Priority Development Areas” – Yarrabilba & Greater Flagstone – marked as future satellite cities with combined population of 170,000.
- Proven track record of hosting domestic, state and national events, combined with sports and events infrastructure with multipurpose and specialist training venues and an events acquisition program.
- Skilled workforce.
- 217 cultures and ethnicities with strong VFR (Visiting Friends and Relatives) visitation.
- Incentives packages targeted at 3.5 to 5 star hotels and serviced apartments, as well as broader investment attraction incentives in key centres.
Logan City Council works closely with the state and regional tourism organisations who provide leadership to help make our region an attractive destination for tourists, investment and events.
Logan Destination Management Plan 2023-2028
This refreshed Destination Management Plan will continue to identify and implement strategies that increase overnight visitation to the City of Logan. It outlines Council’s priorities to address pre-existing challenges impacting the growth of the visitor economy as well as those from the COVID-19 pandemic. It is the result of significant consultation and engagement with a broad range of stakeholders, from government, tourism operators and the community. Tourism is an intersection of many disciplines requiring all these stakeholders to work collaboratively together to realise its full potential.
A broad range of priorities and themes have been identified by stakeholders through the consultation process, and the majority of those are real opportunities.
There is a continued desire however to identify and focus on a few core projects that can act as catalysts to support the sustainable growth of the Logan visitor economy. These game-changers include –
- Advocate for short-term accommodation to support a multi-purpose sporting venue for the 2032 Brisbane Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Deliver the Riverine Discovery Centre to be a regionally recognised environmental and recreational experience
- Investigate the development of a nature-based, recreational facility with food and accommodation offerings
- Support the development of a night time cultural and food tourism precinct(s)
To activate Logan’s vision for its visitor economy, several recommended actions have been identified under each pillar which includes product and experience development, destination events, destination marketing, industry development and government and partnerships.
View the Logan’s Destination Management Plan 2023-2028.
Tourism Investment Support
Logan Office of Economic Development provides facilitation services to potential investors including –
- Assistance with site selection and site visits
- Information on market trends
- Assistance with the development application process
- Coordinated one-stop-shop assistance for major projects
- Introductions to local companies and service providers
- Facilitation of meetings with key local and state tourism stakeholders
- Situation Analysis, experience development and Destination Marketing