This event is offered by a private business. The Queensland Government is not responsible for the accuracy of event details or the quality of event delivery.
Join our 2 day conference devoted to promoting career excellence, leadership development and partnerships between African professionals within and beyond Australia.
Succeeding Beyond Borders Conference
Succeeding Beyond Borders is APA’s annual thought leadership and networking conference. The aims of the conference include to:
- Promote knowledge with an aim of contributing positively to Australian and African economies;
- Foster dialogue that promotes the exchange of ideas and innovative thinking amongst government, universities, corporate, community and entrepreneurs in Australia and Africa; and
- Encourage and enhance research on economic, governance and policy issues relating to the development of African economies
The conference will also focus on increasing awareness and visibility of diaspora from African nations and their contribution to Australia and Africa, economically, culturally, and socially.
A longer-term focus is to establish a system that will connect investment projects with the public and private sectors in Australia for inclusive development in Africa. As the emerging social, economic, technological and geopolitical changes play out, African professionals, international students, educators and communities will need to gain insight and apply expert knowledge and skills to achieve positive influence and become adept global citizens.
About this event
The APA Conference will be a forum for government, universities, the private sector, and African professionals to discuss issues that are hindering African Australians from reaching their full potential in their chosen careers. It will also be a platform at which best practice models across Australia and beyond will be highlighted. We plan to have a diverse range of speakers across several sectors make presentations on the proposed topics over the two days. We also plan to have a number of plenary sessions run concurrently, which will give the delegates more time to discuss the relevant topics at length.
The specific objectives of the conference include:
- Build strategic partnerships with industries, sectors, and unions to advance the professional excellence of African people living in Australia
- To champion increased leadership of Africans in executive leadership in respective industries where Africans are well represented in the workforce, this includes: Education, Mining, Agriculture, Health
- Promote knowledge management as an important driver to professional excellence with an aim of contributing positively to the Australian economy.
- Foster dialogue that promotes the exchange of ideas and innovative thinking amongst government, universities, the private sector and entrepreneurs.
- Highlight the positive stories of Australians of African heritage in Trade and Business as well as professional excellence. We hope this will go a long way in inspiring other Africans especially young people and emerging entrepreneurs and professionals.
- Share opportunities and build networks, collaborations and partnerships.
Goals and Outcomes
- Building a strong workforce of trained, experienced and empowered African Australian leaders, professionals and skilled workers include trades and apprenticeships.
- Building African leaders by working to provide culturally supportive mentorship programs that create future African leaders in key industries.
- Building strong strategic alliances with government, universities, corporates and unions and professional associations and peak bodies that represent employees.
- Increasing awareness and visibility of African professionals and their contribution to the economic growth of Australia.
Friday 15 July 2022, 9am – 5pm; Saturday 16 July 2022, 9am – 2pm
- QUT Gardens Point
- Parking – located in either P block or under the freeway. Both parking areas are open 24 hrs 7 days a week. Casual pay on exit parking facility. The maximum height clearance is 2.1 metres.
Saturday 16 July 2022, Conference Dinner: Welcome Drinks from 5:30PM. Dinner concludes at 10:00PM